The Apple iPad Air 2 was officially announced earlier today sporting an even thinner design, faster performance and a few more upgrades from the first generation iPad Air and comes with iOS 8.1 out of the box.
In today ‘s Apple special event, a lot of new exciting announcements were tackled like iOS 8.1, Mac OS X Yosemite, Apple Pay, etc. but one of the crown jewels of the event was the unveiling of the next generation iPad Air – the iPad Air 2. With its announcement, it completes Apple’s new product lineup for the coming holiday season together with the new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.
Thinnest and Lighter iPad Air 2
Among the best and most distinguishing factor of the iPad Air 2 is probably its super thin design. At only 6.1 mm thick, the iPad Air 2 is even 18% more thinner that 1st generation iPad Air, making it the ‘world’s thinnest tablet’ to date as Apple claims. It still has the same Retina display quality of its predecessor but Apple has significantly reduced the internal reflection of the device by adding an anti-reflective coating making now 56% less reflective. Not to mention that it’s now available in Champagne Gold color, in addition to Silver and Space Gray, which looked really gorgeous.
Thinness isn’t just the strength of the iPad Air 2 but also a significant improvement on device performance. Powering the internals is the new Apple A8X chip (2nd gen. 64-bit architecture) and an M8 motion co-processor which promises up to 40% faster CPU performance and a whopping 250% faster graphics performance compared to last year’s A7 chip.
Another major improvement on the iPad Air 2 is it’s iSight camera. From the previous 5 megapixels back camera, Apple has upgraded it to 8 megapixels which is now capable of capture vivid photos and videos (1080p) plus some added camera features like panorama, burst mode, timelapse, and slo-mo video recording at 120fps. The front facing Facetime HD camera was also improved with a larger aperture allowing 81% more light plus the burst selfie mode.
Privacy and security on the iPad Air 2 wouldn’t be an issue since it now comes with TouchID first introduced on the iPhone 5s. With TouchID, you can purchase securely via App Store and with Apple Pay on iOS 8.1 you can pay wirelessly without drawing out your credit cards.
Apple iPad Air 2 Official Specs
- 9.7-inch IPS LCD Retina Display (1536 x 2048 resolution @ 264 ppi)
- Scratch Resistant Glass with Oleophobic & Anti-reflective Coating
- Apple A8X 64-bit Chipset with M8 Motion Co-processor
- 1.3 GHz Dual-Core Cyclone CPU
- PowerVR G6430 Quad-Core GPU
- 16GB / 64GB / 128GB Internal Storage (non-expandable)
- 8.0 Megapixel Autofocus iSight Camera (no LED flash)
- 1080p video recording
- 1.2 Megapixel Facetime HD Camera with f/2.2 Aperture
- Single Nano SIM (for Cellular version only)
- 4G LTE / 3G HSPA+ connectivity (for Cellular version only)
- Wi-Fi (dual band) / Bluetooth 4.0 with A2DP / GPS with A-GPS / GLONASS
- TouchID Fingerprint Sensor
- Accelerometer / Gyro / Barometer / Proximity / Ambient Light Sensors
- 8,600 mAh Li-Po battery (non-removable)
- up to 10 hours battery life
- 240 x 169.5 x 6.1 mm @ 437 grams
- iOS 8.1
- Colors: Space Gray, Silver, Champagne Gold
iPad Air 2 Pricing and Release Date
The iPad Air 2 price will start at $499, $599, $699 for the 16GB, 64GB and 128GB Wi-Fi versions respectively. For the Wifi + Cellular versions, price starts at $629, $729 and $829 for the same storage range. Pre-orders for the iPad Air 2 will start today, October 17, and shipment will follow the week after.
As for the international release, no words were given yet but we can expect it to arrive here in the Philippines on or before Christmas.