Great news to all die-hard Blackberry Z10 and Q10 users out there! A new update of the latest Blackberry OS 10.1 (10.1.0.4537) has started to appear on the web and is now available for download over Wifi. This latest update is going to be a maintenance release which aims to bring bug-fixes and refinements to their existing BB OS 10.1. Finally, RIM is doing its best to push forward the Z10 and Q10 unlike the ill-fated Blackberry Playbook wherein the anticipated OS 10 software update got cancelled.
You might also want to read: Blackberry A10 Specs Leaks Out
Blackberry OS 10.1 Changes
Most of these changes are pretty minor (hence called a maintenance release) but very useful for everyday device usage. Here are some of the visible changes as reflect on their official changelog:
- An all new next/previous message navigation gesture
- Improved email synchronization; can now adjust syncing preferences
- Enhanced security with two factor authentication for Twitter and LinkedIn
- Added a search field in Blackberry Remember; support for unlock with simple (numeric) passwords such as a PIN
- A new IT policy allows work and personal accounts in the Blackberry Hub to be separated
- Input support for Simplified and Traditional Chinese; input and UI translation for Korean
- Blackberry World app gets several UI enhancements, including a Wishlist;
- Updated versions of the Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn apps.
How to Update to BB OS v10.1.0.4537
Updating to the latest BB OS version is free and fairly easy. You have two (2) options:
- Look for the software update alert in the notifications section of the Blackberry Hub and update from there; or
- Go manually check for updates under System Settings > Software Updates
Take note that this is update is initially available only via Wifi connection. OTA (over-the-air) updates will rollover soon. For corporate (company-owned) plans, you might need to seek the assistance of your local IT administrator in order to receive this latest BB OS update.
Recent user reports are suggesting that the update is now available for both Blackberry Z10 and Q10 smartphones for customers residing within Asia Pacific (including Philippines), Canada, and EMEA. Latin America and the U.S will follow thereafter in the coming months as RIM is gradually rolling out the software updates in different partner carriers/telcos around the globe. Once done, you may download the update then OTA (over-the-air).
If you happen to own a Z10 or Q10 device here in the Philippines, please share your Blackberry OS 10.1 software update experience by leaving a comment below.